The English Consul Volunteer Fire Association No. 1, Inc., was part of the Baltimore County Volunteer Firemen’s Association on June 12th, 1974. However, it was established as a company on November 14, 1944.
The name “English Consul” originates from William Dawson, the first English Consul to Maryland, who originally owned 254 acres of the land in which a historic mansion later called the “English Consul Mansion” existed. One legend has it that the mansion was a stop on the Underground Railroad before the Civil War. The English Consul Mansion is still visible and is currently utilized as a residential home just of Oak Grove Ave. The 254 acres land was later subdivided into what is currently know a as the Baltimore Highlands, Rosemont, Friendship Gardens and the small section still called English Consul. Only few places have kept their original names, one of which is the English Consul Volunteer Fire Company that has been evolving ever since.
The company was founded in a 2 car garage on Daisy Ave, where the current English Consul Lutheran church stands. The firehouse was shortly thereafter moved to its current location on Michigan Ave.